Sunday, January 9, 2011

Diplomacy and Personal Power

Using it and Losing it

I need to find some ways to be diplomatic with my family around my weight loss journey for long term maintenance and success.
This issue surfaced again.  My sister called and wanted to go for "a stroll".  And stay for dinner, and she'll bring dessert.  And out of my mouth popped, We're not doing dessert at our house these days! 
And that's not necessarily true.  I'm not the only one who lives here. 
Diplomacy needed.... Sure, please bring dessert!  hmmm, maybe not....
Food has always been the main focus of attention with my family of origin, and for me too.  And I have anger that surfaces, really fast, before my brain kicks in, around the "over the top Obsession" of it.  And the lack of focus on health of it.
I'd like to learn some key phrases to use to get myself on track, and stay diplomatic.
I think I have actually, yet I'm expecting them to accept my goals and respect them, and I also worry about family members that are pushing 300 around, and not ready to do something about it.
The reason I would like to learn about diplomacy, is that we are all alike in my family, and speak before we think, and there is often an underlying tension. My sister just gets hurt, because she wants to contribute, and that's one way she's good at it. Then she gets angry, and sarcastic.  She's not into Health these days, and loves to cook.  I'm a bit of a health nut, underline the NUT in her view.
So, what I did say, is:  I'm cooking hamburgers for dinner, and anything you would like to bring to put on top of them would be great. 
And I am going for a cross country ski to set the trails around here, and I'll call you when I'm done, then you could come out, and we could go for a walk with the dogs.  And she's going to call someone else for a stroll that lives near me.  So actually it will work out.
You know, I just realized, I get scared. I hate conflict. I don't wanna have to explain myself to anyone.  And I just need to put up with this discomfort for a few weeks the rest of my life , until I have some new patterns set.  And the discomfort will be ongoing.  It's about personal power within my family group.  Now, how to be diplomatic, how not to be conflictual and maintain my own power.  I wonder if it's even a possibility.
It has helped to write this out.  I'll keep you posted, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment